Thursday, April 7, 2011

Government, that thing...

You know how when you finish a book, and your either left with a feeling like; "Wow I finished a book, now I can read another!" or; "Hmmmm, I really liked this book and I want more" I felt both when I finished Saphique by Katherine Fisher. The book was the second in the two-part series. It leaves it open for something more, yet it could be left by itself. Saphique is just like the first book; it is about two worlds, one filled with crime, despair, and darkness and the other filled with peace turning into a world of anarchy. I would like to do a little re-tell to give contex, but I know Ms. R hates those so I with be really quick. In the real world, there is "protocol" witch means no electricity so everything is Victorian-style. The queen is evil, and enforces protocol, and this group of people wants to over-throw her. The other world is a prison that is as big as an entire world, and the prison thinks by itself. Of course one guy escaped into the real world, and is believed to be the "lost heir" and the people depend on him to return the world back to its original state, but he doesn't even believe in himself so it's very difficult. Meanwhile in the self-thinking prison is destroying itself to make a body to escape itself (yeah you need to read it) and the only man who can control the prison is inside of it. There are many big journey's for everyone, and in the end almost everything is resolved. (O.K. that wasn't that short but you need context)

I believe the big main theme in this is government, and how people can, and will react to it. In the real world the queen is a real 'dictator' and wants control no matter what, even if it means killing innocent people. Throughout the book I was like "Wow, we are so lucky to be free in the sense of we have technology, and electricity" I mean in our world our government isn't perfect, but there is no real big reason to rebel. Yeah maybe our congress-people don't always make good decisions, but hell, we have technology, and we are all pretty much free. Yet in the prison, the people are both free and trapped. With the prison shutting down, everything is chaos, and the people are going crazy. But there are no restrictions, and they can use technology. It's the same problem but sort of different situations.

Government can never really really be perfect, it would be a distopia if it were. Everyone, even if it is one person, will always want change. There will always be rebellion and unfairness, even if there are compromises, the person is not happy, because they are still not getting what they want. If you had the choice of freedom and chaos, or peace and dictatorship witch one would you choose? That is the problem, I would be willing to fight, but not go too far. Arguments are part of the human nature, almost everything is unfair, and government is the most unfair, corruption and manipulation has taken over our own world.

In conclusion, the government of in the book actually reflects upon our government a bit, like i said we can never be 'free' or happy with the rule. I personally have no problem with our government right now, but in the future, I know we will have problems. I liked the books, and think anyone my age should read it, there are some nice action scenes, and if you like 'edge-of-your-seat' stuff, this book is great. I actually thought a lot about the world and government while reading this, and think how happy I am to be this free, but the truth is, life is unfair, and people will complain!

No comments:

Post a Comment