Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cat and Mouse feat. gas chambers, guns, and fire

I just recently re-read Maus I, and Mause II. I really like them, and I think it's a great Graphic novel, and it's perfect for an 8th grader, because its also a great biography about someone who was really at Auschwitz. I remember reading it when I was in 5th grade, curious about it, (and i liked the cover) so I read it, but I really didn't get it, but once again like the childhood re-read, it made way more sense.
A couple things I really like about are the way its perceived, from the view of the son, and how it goes from present day to back then, like one frame, you'll see Vladek (the one who was in Auschwitz) in the camps getting soup, and then you'll see Artie (Vladecks son) with his wife in the house, it's just really cool. I also really like how it's written in a polish accent, so you really get the realism of it all.
In all I would recommend this to everyone in my grade. I think this is a great historical biography, and really gets your mind to work out what really happened in Auschwitz, from a realistic point of view.

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad you had a good rereading experience. i'd love to hear your thoughts about why A.S. wrote this in graphic novel form.

    ReplyDelete