Baz Luhrmann, made some outrageous choices in his movie, like keeping the original language, but making everything else modern .It makes his movie stand out, it adds that sense of a new movie that nobody has ever seen, yet everyone knows the plot. And to be honest, I genuinely feel smarter after watching this. And starting to read the play itself, I feel my language vocabulary expanding every sentence I read.
Before we started this study, I knew nothing of Romeo&Juliet, or any other Shakespearean literature. All I knew was that they died at the end, so of course at the beginning, I felt really stupid, and did not what the hell was going on while I read some of his writing. But I really liked the movie. At first because I didn't know the story, I was really lost, and didn't even know if Juliet was a Montague, or Capulet. (isn't that sad!) But as I progressed in the study, I began to understand Shakespeare, and now I can read some of his writing, and understand most of it without being completely lost. But enough about me, let's talk about my thoughts on the movie.
As I said, I really liked the movie. Luhrmann's choice to use the original script, but turn the whole setting to modern was great, I feel that watching a movie set in the 1600's is just plain boring, and it gives a sense of age that nobody likes. But making it modern, allows people of all ages to watch this, and understand it fairly easily. I think that having the 'youth' in it brings out another side to Romeo&Juliet that younger people can 'connect' to. And, personally, I felt like I understood it better in the modernized version. Yet while keeping the original scrip and language it instills a very 'smart' sense to it, but one that is sophisticated, and frankly sort-of beautiful. It allows die-hart Shakespeare fans to watch, and like this movie, yet not let it be too modernized. My favorite scene in the movie is when Tybalt just killed Mercutio, I love how the weather changes in turn to what was going on upon the beach, it adds a great sense of mood, and emotion to the scene.
To summarize my thoughts about the movie, I generally enjoyed it. Mind you I still need to get used to Shakespeare, but I'm getting there. I thought the whole 'modernized yet original language' thing really worked, and helped me to understand some of the harder things in learning Shakespeare. I think this study is good, and a great idea, thank you Ms. Robbins!!! I feel smarter
Word, I new nothing before this. Now I know "What are these? So withered and wild in their attire. They look not the inhabitants o'the earth! You seem to understand me! By each at once her chapy finger laying upon her skinny lips. You should be woman, and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you are so!"
ReplyDelete* "and yet are aught. Live you? Or are you aught that man may question?"
ReplyDelete